Greater Media tries to reach youth...with HD station

radiotony radiotony@comcast.net
Sat Mar 3 20:07:11 EST 2007

Yeah, My Bloody Valentine were one of the best. "Only Shallow" and "Soon"
are two of my favorite songs.
I can't think of any shoegazer "hits," for lack of a better word. It was big
on WFNX in the late 1980s to early 1990s.
Lush had a couple of radio staples: "Sweetness and Light" and "Nothing
Natural." Ride had "Vapour Trail" and "Leave Them All Behind" which were
both pretty big.
The "movement," if you will, was followed by Britpop - Blur, Oasis, that
kinda stuff - which was a bit safer and sold a lot more records.

Best,
Tony Schinella

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Laurence [mailto:marklaurence@mac.com]
Sent: Saturday, March 03, 2007 7:16 PM
To: Bob Nelson
Subject: Re: Greater Media tries to reach youth...with HD station

On Mar 3, 2007, at 12:39 PM, Bob Nelson wrote:

>>> Hey now, I still listen to Britpop and shoegazer bands like Ride and
>>> others
> and I'm almost 42!
>
> I'm 45 and never heard of "shoegazer" till I read that article. Feel a
> bit older now; I wonder if Lawrence Welk will be on NHPTV tonight? :)

This might make you feel even older...I first heard of the term "shoegazer"
soon after I got my first computer with Internet connections.  The group My
Bloody Valentine was one of the best-known
shoegazer bands.   That was sometime around 1993, and I was behind
the cutting-edge curve by a few years, having waited that long to learn
about them.  By then their CDs were pretty much available only in used CD
stores (do they still have those?).  The music was extremely loud and full
of distortion, but slow-paced and melodic at the same time.  I don't think
there's ever been a real hit in that style, but I'm glad it's still around.