Greater Media tries to reach youth...with HD station

Mark Laurence marklaurence@mac.com
Sat Mar 3 19:16:10 EST 2007

On Mar 3, 2007, at 12:39 PM, Bob Nelson wrote:

>>> Hey now, I still listen to Britpop and shoegazer bands like Ride
>>> and others
> and I'm almost 42!
>
> I'm 45 and never heard of "shoegazer" till I read that article. Feel
> a bit older now; I wonder if Lawrence Welk will be on NHPTV
> tonight? :)

This might make you feel even older...I first heard of the term
"shoegazer" soon after I got my first computer with Internet
connections.  The group My Bloody Valentine was one of the best-known
shoegazer bands.   That was sometime around 1993, and I was behind
the cutting-edge curve by a few years, having waited that long to
learn about them.  By then their CDs were pretty much available only
in used CD stores (do they still have those?).  The music was
extremely loud and full of distortion, but slow-paced and melodic at
the same time.  I don't think there's ever been a real hit in that
style, but I'm glad it's still around.