When WBZ played covers instead of hits

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Wed Jun 20 02:27:36 EDT 2007

On 19 Jun 2007 at 11:51, Kevin Vahey wrote:

> I emailed Dick Summer and he said
> Hi Kevin, nice to hear from you. It's hard for most people to imagine
> these days, but BZ didn' t have a format or a play list. We played
> what we wanted to play. So a lot of stuff came up that "didn't make
> sense." We were just having fun. It's special to be remembered for all
> those years...

WBZ often played some of the darndest things back then, and it was
part of the fun of listening to the station.  It was one of the few
stations to give some on-air exposure to a rather odd album called
"The Baroque Beatles Book," in which a baroque ensemble, along with a
choir in some cuts, performed various Beatles songs in genuine
Baroque style.  ("The Royal Beatleworks Music", "Cantata for the
Third Saturday After Shea Stadium", etc.  "Help" done as an aria, and
"Hold Me Tight" played on a harpsichord)

It certainly wasn't played on any of the classical stations, and I
don't think it was on WRKO or WMEX or WHYN.  And if I hadn't heard
excerpts on WBZ, I wouldn't have known about it.  When I heard it, I
just had to have it, and, since I couldn't find it in Amherst, I made
a special bus trip into Northampton to get a copy.  I still enjoy it
today, and I particularly like having it on and seeing how long it
takes someone to catch on to what it is.

 92 State Street	                                  Fax 617.507.7856
Boston, MA 02109           	         http://www.attorneyross.com