WWZN announces it will stay sports

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Sun Jun 3 02:48:53 EDT 2007

On 1 Jun 2007 at 10:17, Dan Strassberg wrote:

> No, I didn't recall. What was the reason or alleged reason for WEEI's
> objection to having a real full-time station carry the Sox in
> Spanish--as opposed to a Class D AM with low-power nighttime authority
> (even if it often "forgets" to power down at sunset)? Did Entercom
> feel that enough of the people who listened to the Sox on WEEI were
> bilingual and would switch the Spanish broadcasts, if only the Spanish
> signal were better? I suppose that if that theory were correct, a
> stronger signal for the Spanish broadcasts could actually cut the
> ratings for the English broadcasts by a measurable amount. I can
> imagine 0.1 or maybe even 0.2 share points. Since WWZN never makes it
> into the ratings, I suppose that if it had gotten the Sox in Spanish
> and WEEI's ratings for the Sox in English had declined measurably,
> that small decline would have been the first solid statistical
> evidence that anyone at all listened to WWZN.

It would be my guess that having the Sox in Spanish on a station that
was otherwise an English-language sports station might motivate some
people who could understand both languages to listen to the Sox in
Spanish on WWZN and then stay for some of its English sports
programming.  I can see how WEEI might consider that a threat,
whereas having the Sox in Spanish on a station that was not otherwise
a sports station, or one that was all Spanish, might not be seen as
quite so much of a threat.

 92 State Street	                                  Fax 617.507.7856
Boston, MA 02109           	         http://www.attorneyross.com