WWZN announces it will stay sports

Sean Smyth sean.smyth@yahoo.com
Fri Jun 1 09:31:57 EDT 2007

Dan Strassberg <dan.strassberg@att.net> wrote:
> Well, what about Sports in Spanish? There is an ESPN Spanish network,
> and
> though I'm sure that WROL has the Sox in Spanish locked up for this
> season
> (at night--WBNW carries the day games in Spanish), it shouldn't be
> hard for
> 50-kW WWZN to show the Sox (or whomever is responsible for selling
> the
> Spanish radio rights) that WWZN covers a lot better at night than
> WROL does
> (even when WROL "forgets" to cut back to night power--which seems to
> be most
> of the time).

The key word in Davidson's aforementioned statement is "like." I'd love
to do a lot of things, including buy a smaller station that gets a 1
rating, but it isn't happening anytime soon, even if Bob Bittner chose
to sell.

Spanish sports is a legit possibility. I see few markets where it would
be plausible, even with the ESPN Deportes network, but Boston would be
one. The Spanish community is very into the Red Sox, as was evidenced
by Pedro Mania, and there are a couple very successful players of
Hispanic background on this team.

You may recall that 1510 was thisclose to being the Red Sox' Spanish
flagship a few years ago. WEEI balked, and the deal was squashed.