WEEI 103.7 signal

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Fri Jul 13 10:31:51 EDT 2007

The day pattern (two towers) is a modified cardioid aimed northeast. The
night pattern (three towers) is more-or-less circular (with the circle
tangent to the transmitter site and the diameter pretty much on a
west-to-east line through the transmitter site). The combination of the
night pattern being somewhat narrower than the day pattern and the night
pattern being rotated clockwise about 30 degrees with respect to the day
pattern is probably the major cause of the signal in Maine at night not
being as strong as the day signal. But the higher level of interference at
night probably also helps to make the night signal uncopyable there.

I also wonder whether WCRN is yet running the full 50 kW at night. I'm
almost certain that the night power is higher than the former 5 kW, but
where I live, a 50-kW night signal should be marginally louder than the day
signal. At the sunset pattern change, I could believe that WCRN becomes
weaker--not louder, but that could all be in my imagination. According to
the frequently inaccurate CDBS, WCRN is still not licensed for 50 kW at
night. If that's so (that is, if WCRN is still operating under program-test
authority at night), it might be running the new three-tower pattern with
less than 50 kW. The FCC often requires AMs running under program-test
authority to use 1/4 of the power specified in the CP. In WCRN's case, that
would be 12.5 kW. 25 kW is another possibility. I could believe that the
signal I'm hearing is 25 kW and not 50 kW--but as I said, it could all be in
my imagination.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
eFax 707-215-6367