when analog TV signals end

Peter Murray pete@partnercomm.com
Thu Jul 5 15:15:00 EDT 2007

The point of "Channel 4" in the UK calling itself that is because it was
a fourth national broadcast service in the UK. "Channel 4" is its
branding, as "CBS", "ABC", "NBC", or "FOX" is the brand for each of
innumerable national broadast network services.

It would serve no purpose to give CBS a nationwide "channel 2", as there
are hundreds of markets that would have to change from the number they
already know (and for which there is an existing solidly entrenched
brand image)?

Unlike the UK, the legacy national broadcast networks did not have much
of a "local" image. "Channel 1" on your telly was tuned to the local
BBC1 transmitter. There may have been a bit of local programming from
the regional news bureau, but for the most part, it was not in any way
identified as an "individual" station - very unlike the US stations,
which very heavily marketed themselves as affiliated, but stand-alone
operations.

Unless I have just moved into a new TV market, I will know already what
channel is what. My TiVo will know even before I do, when I do move! I
have no idea what cable-only channel is what anymore, because I don't
need to know. The TiVo does all that for me... For the consumer, it is
all just about content, right? It is only us geeks that care about the
particulars of channels (like "How many channel 83's were there EVER?")....

-Peter

--
Peter Murray (N3IXY)
Oak Hill, VA