when analog TV signals end

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Sat Jul 7 01:27:35 EDT 2007

On 5 Jul 2007 at 15:15, Peter Murray wrote:

> The point of "Channel 4" in the UK calling itself that is because it
> was a fourth national broadcast service in the UK. "Channel 4" is its
> branding, as "CBS", "ABC", "NBC", or "FOX" is the brand for each of
> innumerable national broadast network services.

Indeed, the original names of the BBC radio networks reflected this.
The BBC's first network was the "Home Service."  Next they came up
with the "Light Programme," which apparently was somewhat less
"Auntie Beeb" than the Home Service.  Finally, they established a
third network and called it the "Third Programme."  At some point, I
think in the 1960s or 70s, the three netorks became "Radio One,"
"Radio Two", and "Radio Three," and a fourth network, "Radio Four,"
was added.  When I was in London in 1973, I heard program tests for
Britain's first local radio services.

On shortwave, they once had the "Empire Service," which I think may
have merged with something else to become the "General Overseas
Service."  I remember hearing this when I first started listening to
shortwave radio in the early 1960s.  Then the name was changed and it
became the "World Service," as it is called now.

 92 State Street	                                  Fax 617.507.7856
Boston, MA 02109           	         http://www.attorneyross.com