unlicensed LP-FM in today's Boston Globe, PS

A. Joseph Ross Joe@attorneyross.com
Sat Jan 20 16:15:51 EST 2007

On 20 Jan 2007 Donna Halper wrote:

> Since Bob Nelson and I thought of the same thing at the same time-- my
> question was not about whether Boston should have black stations--
> they absolutely should,and I used to consult WILD back in the Ken Nash
> era, may he rest in peace.  The folks running Touch FM seem to be
> professionals, family-friendly, etc.  BUT, why would they let the
> Globe do a huge story when they are unlicensed?  Surely they must
> realise the FCC will check into this... or are they certain that the
> FCC not do so?  (I'm old-fashioned about licensing rules -- while I
> believe the FCC has abdicated much of its oversight function and
> permitted some pretty vile stuff to be on the air, I still think
> stations should be licensed, because that rule is still on the
> books...)

Maybe they really DO think that it's OK because the FCC doesn't
license stations under 100 watts.  We know it isn't so, but there are
nuts out there who believe that no law requires payment of income
taxes because Ohio was never validly admitted as a state.  Maybe
these people were advised by some such person and believe it.

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                   617.367.0468
15 Court Square, Suite 210         Fax: 617.742.7581