unlicensed LP-FM in today's Boston Globe, PS

Gary's Ice Cream gary@garysicecream.com
Sat Jan 20 17:37:32 EST 2007

Well don't forget...there has been an unlicensed AM station in Lowell using
the calls WKNM for years now serving the Portugese community complete with
ads (a dollar a holler).........the owner was told by a local police radio
installation company that any station under 100 watts is legal.....as a
matter of fact it was the local radio installer who does the police and fire
radios that installed their transmitter and tower.  The former owners of
WLLH sent at least 6 letters to the FCC as did local "radio geeks" and
nothing has been done in over 10 years - the station still
operates........they are even listed on the Boston Catholic website as
carrying Sunday mass in Portugese
(http://www.bostoncatholic.com/Pages/programs.html).
They have signs in front of their building advertising themselves and their
frequency (1570).

-g

-----Original Message-----
From: boston-radio-interest-bounces@rolinin.BostonRadio.org
[mailto:boston-radio-interest-bounces@rolinin.BostonRadio.org] On Behalf Of
A. Joseph Ross
Sent: Saturday, January 20, 2007 4:16 PM
To: Donna Halper
Cc: boston Radio
Subject: Re: unlicensed LP-FM in today's Boston Globe, PS

On 20 Jan 2007 Donna Halper wrote:

> Since Bob Nelson and I thought of the same thing at the same time-- my
> question was not about whether Boston should have black stations--
> they absolutely should,and I used to consult WILD back in the Ken Nash
> era, may he rest in peace.  The folks running Touch FM seem to be
> professionals, family-friendly, etc.  BUT, why would they let the
> Globe do a huge story when they are unlicensed?  Surely they must
> realise the FCC will check into this... or are they certain that the
> FCC not do so?  (I'm old-fashioned about licensing rules -- while I
> believe the FCC has abdicated much of its oversight function and
> permitted some pretty vile stuff to be on the air, I still think
> stations should be licensed, because that rule is still on the
> books...)

Maybe they really DO think that it's OK because the FCC doesn't license
stations under 100 watts.  We know it isn't so, but there are nuts out there
who believe that no law requires payment of income taxes because Ohio was
never validly admitted as a state.  Maybe these people were advised by some
such person and believe it.

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                   617.367.0468
15 Court Square, Suite 210         Fax: 617.742.7581