[B-R-I] Asperger's (Was: Bad taste TV, was: Bad Taste Radio...)

Kaimbridge M. GoldChild Kaimbridge@gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 09:37:25 EST 2007

Ric Werme wrote,

 > People with Aspergers can't "read" other peoples' non-verbal
 > communication but I guess anyone can get the gist of a verbal
 > dressing down.
 >  http://www.aspergers.org/what_is_aspergers_syndrome.htm includes
 >     "a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment,
 >      interests, or achievements with other people
 >      (e.g. by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing
 >      out objects of interest to other people)"

You missed the more important diagnostic criteria, as relevant to
"us":

    © B. Restricted repetitive and stereotyped patterns of
    © behavior, interests, and activities, as manifested by
    © at least one of the following:
    ©
    ©     encompassing preoccupation with one or more
    ©     stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest
    ©     that is abnormal either in intensity or focus
    ©
    ©     apparently inflexible adherence to specific,
    ©     nonfunctional routines or rituals
    ©
    ©     stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms
    ©     (e.g., hand or finger flapping or twisting, or
    ©     complex whole-body movements) persistent
    ©     preoccupation with parts of objects

Given our——to the average outsider——obsessive "interest" in
radio towers, signal patterns, station formats and their
presentation/execution, dx-ing, propagation, etc., more than
a few of us (definitely myself included! P=) would likely be
considered Aspergian.  This part of Wikipedia's article on it
further solidifies this "diagnosis":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome#Narrow.2C_intense_interests

Again quoting Ric,

 > I do know two people in Mensa with Aspergers, one was
 > diagnosed only recently at around age 60, the other is
 > early 20s.

We certainly are in good company, as Einstein and Bill
Gates are considered to be Aspergian.

 > However, "Some people with Aspergers Syndrome have high
 > IQ scores but many more have average IQ scores and
 > struggle with learning disabilities."  It may be that
 > intelligent people with Aspergers are attracted to Mensa
 > because its full of people who never quite fit in and they
 > can relate to that and find acceptance.

Well, before anyone gets TOO excited or makes too much out
of it, some consider Asperger's Syndrome as nothing more
than a PC medicinalization of what has been traditionally
known as "Geekism"——and since a lot of us openly acknowledge
being "radio geeks"...!!!

      ~Kaimbridge~

-----
      Wikipedia—Contributor Home Page: