WLLH-AM Lowell Transmitter On-Air (With IBOC?)

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Mon Jan 8 16:24:45 EST 2007

It's possible that WAMG's complex five-tower array, diplexed at night with
1060 and not broadbanded at either frequency, makes IBOC infeasible on the
890 signal. WHYN in Springfiled was deemed inapproptiate for IBOC, in part
because of the narrow bandwidth of its electrically short towers. Seattle's
950, which is diplexed with 820 and not far away on Vashon Island from 570,
710, 1000, and the 1090/770 diplex, was deemed unsuited because all of the
filtering to suppress intermodulation with the nearby signals was already
too complex. (With the exception of 570, all of the Seattle stations
mentioned run 50 kW-D and four of them also run 50 kW at night.) It would
not surprise me to learn that New York's 1010 and 1050, Phildelphia's 1060,
and South Jersey's 1040 will never run IBOC. Every AM must be evaluated
separately. Also, are you sure that the hash you heard was, indeed, IBOC?
You mentioned hash from 1350 to 1430. That frequency range is not
symmetrical about 1400. IBOC hash is supposed to be symmetrical about the
carrier frequency. If it is not, the system works poorly or not at all.

--

Dan Strassberg
dan.strassberg@att.net