A Broadcast TV License May Be Worth Something After All

marklaurence@mac.com marklaurence@mac.com
Tue Feb 27 10:37:41 EST 2007

On Tuesday, February 27, 2007, at 09:05AM, "Brian Vita" <brian_vita@cssinc.com> wrote:
>I'm beginning to think one of those antenna thingys might not be a bad idea
>:)
>
>I have Comcast Digital cable with their DVR at my house and I see some
>strange things, particularly in HD.  For example:
>
>On the much debated Chronicle show, for the first 5-10 minutes of the show,
>the picture would block pixelate and the sound would get choppy.  It did
>this until the first commercial break with was in SD then cleared up on
>return.

I had the same trouble with the radio Chronicle show.  It was odd pixellation, with
little lines running through the blocks - I'd never seen that kind of picture break-up
before.  It was really a shame to have so much interference on a show I wanted to
keep.

But this is not very typical of my HD experience.  Usually everything I watch is
flawless.  You mentioned problems with channel 7, and my experience is that
they have the most frequent problems, sometimes starting a show in SD and
switching to HD after a few minutes.  I also have Comcast so it's possible that
their connection has something to do with this as well.  Like you, I think they
ought to move channel 38 off the HD bandwidth and make room for
something else. Since UPN disappeared and the Friday night Red Sox games
disappeared, channel 38 hardly has anything in HD at all.

>I'm truly unimpressed with the lack of HD channels on the system.  Channels
>that I'd love to see in HD, like Discovery and Sci-Fi aren't.

Comcast has Discovery Home Theatre in HD which often duplicates the regular
Discovery , and NBC Universal has some SciFi shows.  They keep adding channels
so keep checking: National Geographic and Versus were just added this year.

Mark