A Broadcast TV License May Be Worth Something After All

Brian Vita brian_vita@cssinc.com
Tue Feb 27 09:00:53 EST 2007

I'm beginning to think one of those antenna thingys might not be a bad idea
:)

I have Comcast Digital cable with their DVR at my house and I see some
strange things, particularly in HD.  For example:

On the much debated Chronicle show, for the first 5-10 minutes of the show,
the picture would block pixelate and the sound would get choppy.  It did
this until the first commercial break with was in SD then cleared up on
return.

Last night (Monday) while watching the Tonight Show, again in HD, as Jay
moved his hands and, to a less noticable extent, his body, there was a red
trailing ghost that lagged about 50ms.  His hand movements looked like some
kind of four handed juggling act.  After a few minutes the picture jumped
down to SD (4:3 - lower res) then back up to HD.

Last Friday NBC sent out the SD version of "Las Vegas" on the HD channel.

I'm truly unimpressed with the lack of HD channels on the system.  Channels
that I'd love to see in HD, like Discovery and Sci-Fi aren't.  Channels like
38 running SD reruns on an HD carrier are a waster of bandwith.

I'm paying a premium for this?  Gee, sign me up for HD radio too!

Brian T. Vita, President
Cinema Service & Supply, Inc.
77 Walnut St - Ste 4
Peabody, MA  01960-5691