Guy starts a LP station in Concord.

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Mon Feb 5 00:24:03 EST 2007

On 4 Feb 2007 at 13:18, Laurence Glavin wrote:

> I'm glad you used the word 'guess" (were you at the same time wearing
> Guess Jeans?);  on NPR's "Talk of the Nation" two weeks ago, in reaction
> to the Williamson turn WETA underwent, a composer/conductor named
> John Corigliano discussed introducing young people to "classical music"
> and he said unequivocally that modern music, such as Stravinsky (he gave the
> example of "Rite of Spring", a piece selected by Walt Disney for his
> movie, or film, "Fantasia"), Bartok, Prokofiev etc made a much greater
> impression than earlier music, Mozart, Bach, Haydn.

Well, that certainly isn't what WCRB is playing.  Or any of the
classical stations, for that matter.

I think part of the problem is the downgrading of music education in
schools.  I remember learning about the earlier composers in 8th
grade music class and getting hooked on them then.

But these things go in cycles.  Baroque music (Bach, Handel, etc.)
got very popular in the late 60s.  Somehow it seemed to fit the style
of the times, with fancy designs on dress shirts and ties, tie-died T-
shirts, etc.  And there were the "Switched-On Bach" albums that
played Bach on a synthesizer and the "Baroque Beatles Book" that
played Beatles music in Baroque style.

 15 Court Square, Suite 210                 Fax 617.742.7581