Longstandiong WUNR Towers Down (No Scott Photos?)

Laurence Glavin lglavin@mail.com
Sun Dec 23 13:19:35 EST 2007

Aa few days ago, someone posting to radio-info.com mentioned that he had noticed that only one
of the longstanding 300-foot WUNR towers was still standing, and this was during daylight hours.
So even taking current gaas prices into account, since I was going to be in the Route 128 area
down there anyway, I drove to 750 Sawmill Brook Parkway, and voila (a little French lingo)
the only towers there now are the 199-or-so-foot jobbies built last summer (remember summer?).
The only station broadcasting from that site is still WUNR-AM 1600, so either they're still
running 5,000 watts into either the day or night pattern they will use, or some other amount,
but almost certainly not the full 20,000-watts because the signal due north at the junction of
routes 128 and 93 at midnight was about the same as before.  We may have to wait until there's
an item at fcc.gov with a license to cover.
Yesterday and so far today, WTTT-AM has been running what is apparently its nighttime
pattern even during daylight hours.  What's odd about that is that as I headed north on
route 128 between route 1 and Trapelo Rd. in Waltham, there seemed to be more nulls than
I recall before.  The longtime nighttime pattern for what was WCOP had to protect
Rome, NY and some Canadian outlets, but the 1150 in Middletown CT came later, and nighttime
operation there later still.  I don't see any application info for WTTT, not even in the
Correspondence File, but is it possible they're making some change anyway, and under the
"ratchet" rule, now have to protect Middletown, CT to an extent it didn't earlier?

--
Want an e-mail address like mine?