Boston mag.: WTKK to go local with McPhee

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Tue Dec 4 19:00:18 EST 2007

Everybody is so excited about quantity. Doesn't anybody care about
quality? I daresay that unless you are a right-wingnut of the Bob
Nelson stripe, you will find damned little that originates at either
WRKO or WTKK worth listening to. WBZ is better. And nobody has
mentioned WBUR, which certainly makes up in quality for what it lacks
in quantity.

I fault 'BUR's Tom Ashbrook, who is currently out on medical leave, on
stylistic grounds; he should learn how to sound a bit more relaxed
notwithstsanding the pressures of the clock. But at least he is
intelligent and when he isn't thoughful enough, he brings on guests
who are. Of current Boston talk hosts, it seems to me that Dan Rea is
the only one in the same league as Ashbrook. LeVeille's mission is to
do light stuff and I believe he PREFERS to do light stuff although I
think he would be quite capable (though not as happy) doing
issue-oriented talk if the time slot permitted it, which it really
doesn't.

Pretty much everyone else who originates a talk show from Boston is a
clown, although I guess I would not put Doug Stephan in the clown
category. He sometimes originates his show from his farm in Framingham
but most of the program is not heard on any Boston area station. (WRKO
and WBNW carry one hour of what is, I believe, a five-hour show six
days a week.)

BTW, at Thanksgiving, I met a guy who may be Tom Finneran's only fan.
He pleaded with me to give the show another chance. Does Finneran get
excused from being called a clown because he can't make anyone smile,
much less laugh?

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367