Boston mag.: WTKK to go local with McPhee

Sean Smyth sean.smyth@yahoo.com
Tue Dec 4 16:32:39 EST 2007

Scott Fybush <scott@fybush.com> wrote:
> Which adds up to 33 hours of local talk a day, which has got to put
> Boston very much in the top tier of talk radio cities!
>
> With WABC's nearly all-syndie schedule now (Imus, Rush, Hannity,
> Levin,
> etc.), and WOR as the only real talk competition in the city, there's
> no
> way NYC's total adds up to anything even close, and the picture in
> Philadelphia and DC is even more bleak. LA is worse yet.
>
> I haven't added up the numbers, but I'd guess Chicago (pretty much
> all
> day local on WGN, plus strong local content on WLS) and San Francisco
>
> (all local on KGO, plus some local shows on KSFO and KNEW) would
> probably rank second and third in local talk hours, just on a hunch.

1. Is it fair to not count syndicated shows in NYC? Sure, they're not
talking about Bloomberg's moves running the city, but we are talking
the No. 1 market -- a big (no pun intended) appetite there for national
talk, no? It's not like we're talking about syndie talk popping up on a
station in the North Country or something.

2. If you counted sports talk, NYC's numbers may well surpass Boston.