HD Radio (was:RE: "The Edge" on "Smooth Jazz")

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Thu Aug 16 15:36:38 EDT 2007

<<On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 15:23:23 -0400, "Larry Weil" <kc1ih@mac.com> said:

> There is a more complete listing that includes the non-commercial
> stations in HD (of which there are many), but it is harder to find.

I think it was pretty clear, when CPB and NPR got heavily behind the
HD push, that noncomm band was going to be where it's at for quite a
while, at least in terms of driving receiver sales.  In so many
markets, there is only a single public-radio outlet, and there's a lot
of pressure for public radio to prove its relevance to new audiences
so there is currently much more programming available in the public
radio system than any one station can carry.  Adding HD2 and even HD3
subchannels makes it possible for one station to serve more of those
constituencies, and eventually, in some cases, "purify" their
schedules to reduce dayparting of formats.

-GAWollman