HD Radio

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Thu Aug 16 15:40:16 EDT 2007

Garrett Wollman wrote:
> <<On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 15:23:23 -0400, "Larry Weil" <kc1ih@mac.com> said:
>
>> There is a more complete listing that includes the non-commercial
>> stations in HD (of which there are many), but it is harder to find.
>
> I think it was pretty clear, when CPB and NPR got heavily behind the
> HD push, that noncomm band was going to be where it's at for quite a
> while, at least in terms of driving receiver sales.  In so many
> markets, there is only a single public-radio outlet, and there's a lot
> of pressure for public radio to prove its relevance to new audiences
> so there is currently much more programming available in the public
> radio system than any one station can carry.  Adding HD2 and even HD3
> subchannels makes it possible for one station to serve more of those
> constituencies, and eventually, in some cases, "purify" their
> schedules to reduce dayparting of formats.

What's more, public radio has a direct connection to its listener base
that most commercial stations don't have, which is a good thing when it
comes to receiver distribution.

By making HD radios available as pledge premiums, the hope among many in
public radio is that they can break the distribution bottleneck and
avoid even worrying about the lack of support at the retail level.