Share-time stations

Eli Polonsky elipolo@earthlink.net
Sun Aug 12 14:47:32 EDT 2007

> > From: Garrett Wollman <wollman@bimajority.org>
> CC: boston-radio-interest@rolinin.BostonRadio.org
> To: "Dan Strassberg" <dan.strassberg@att.net>
> Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 14:43:25 -0400
> Subject: Share-time stations
>
> <<On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 07:09:25 -0400, "Dan Strassberg"
> <dan.strassberg@att.net> said:
>
> > As I understand it, WAVM in Maynard and U Mass Boston
> >(WUMB et al) were just granted CPs to build time-shared
> >stations on 91.7 in Maynard and (I thnk) Stow
> >respectively.
>
> As reported recently in NERW, the two stations will share
> transmitter facilities, with WUMB's station operating
> whenever the students at WAVM are not.
>
> -GAWollman

I saw the report on NERW, but unless something has very
recently changed, I had understood that WUMB had dropped
their Stow application, and the deal they had made with
WAVM was to assist in the construction of their new 500
watt facility, licensed to Maynard, with the agreement
that it would simulcast WUMB whenever Maynard High School
students were not broadcasting. This would all be on one
station, licensed as WAVM Maynard, but simulcasting WUMB
a large amount of the time without a separate application
for WUMB in Stow.

In fact, the student air schedule at WAVM has been only
six hours per day on school days only. If that remains as
it has been, the station would be a WUMB simulcast for 18
hours each weekday, and 24 hours per day each weekend and
during all school vacations and breaks, including most of
the summer season.

Unless something has changed and it became necessary for
WUMB to apply for a CP for a separate license in order to
do the time-share/simulcast deal on, or with, WAVM, but I
thought it would be something where when students finished
their broadcasting for the day, they would throw a switch
assigning WUMB's programming to their signal for the night
or until the next student program block came on the air,
or something to that effect.

EP