Original WGBH-FM signon/off

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Mon Aug 13 00:25:25 EDT 2007

On 12 Aug 2007 at 10:01, Russ Butler wrote:

> Ending with a pleasant "Good night" at about 10 p.m. having signed on
> at 5 p.m. for the evening's programming/  Ah, the memories linger on!

Ah yes.  When I first got an FM radio in December 1958, many stations
signed on around 5 PM.  WBUR and WERS signed on at 2 PM during the
school year, 5 PM in the summer.  WEEI-FM did a simulcast of the AM,
but they didn't sign on until 2 PM, with a very impressive sign on
announcement.  WBZ-FM signed on at 5 PM and did classical music until
midnight.  Later they began simulcasting the AM from 6:00 am until
the 5:00 PM start of separate programs.  WXHR signed on at 4:30 PM.
Other AM simulcasts signed on early in the morning, even though the
AM stations were on 24 hours.

One time, around 1959 or 1960, I was up around 2 AM to watch an
eclipse of the moon and turned on the radio.  There were only two
stations operating in the entire FM band:  WHDH-FM and WCOP-FM, both
simulcasting the AM.

--
 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                            617.367.0468
  92 State Street                                   Fax 617.507.7856