AM Nighttime Only

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Sat Aug 11 15:29:17 EDT 2007

WNYC proposed 50 kW full-time on 830 but those facilities were NEVER
granted. Instead, after many, many years of hearings and deliberations, the
FCC granted 10 kW-D/5 kW-N on 820, thus killing off an application for 820
for Weymouth or some other community on the South Shore. Eventually, the
death of the South Shore app made way for Worcester's WCRN and then the
relaxation of second-adjacent-channel overlap restrictions enabled WCRN to
increase first its day power and then also its night power to 50 kW. You
might say that New York City's loss became Central Mass's gain (or nowadays,
you might call it the Red Sox gain).

I don't know whether WNYC was contemplating diplexing with WMCA when it
proposed increasing to 50 kW on 830 but if that was the idea, the FCC sure
had the right idea when it moved WNYC to 820. As I mentioned in another
post, the nearby Pulaski Skyway Bridge wrecks WNYC's night pattern (there
are HUGE augmentations to the northwest). On 820 the problem was enough to
force a power reduction to 1 kW from the originally granted 5 kw. On 830, it
would have been fatal to the night operation because the problems lie to the
northwest, right where WCCO is. As it was, had Canada not put CHAM on 820
before WNYC built its 820 facilities, WNYC could probably be running 5 kw at
night.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
eFax 707-215-6367