This whole Imus/Shock Radio thing.

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Sun Apr 15 20:40:18 EDT 2007

At 07:10 PM 4/15/2007, Richard Chonak wrote:
>Donna Halper wrote:
>
>>After years of assorted people complaining, the FCC finally acted--
>>in 1941 (!) they took the radio priest off the air.
>
>I wouldn't be too sure about that date.   The materials I'm finding
>on the net about the Canadian-born priest vary in details; one
>version, citing Coughlin's magazine, says he was already off the air
>in 1939, after actions by the FCC and the NAB.

Individual stations began dropping him in the late 30s, but according
to the NY Times, Washington Post and other clippings that I am
looking at even as we speak, it wasn't till the US officially entered
WW2 that he was barred from his broadcasts, partly as a result of the
Catholic Church finally speaking up, partly due to endless complaints
to the FCC.