This whole Imus/Shock Radio thing.

Richard Chonak rac@gabrielmass.com
Sun Apr 15 19:10:08 EDT 2007

Donna Halper wrote:

>After years of assorted people complaining, the FCC
> finally acted-- in 1941 (!) they took the radio priest off the air.

I wouldn't be too sure about that date.   The materials I'm finding on
the net about the Canadian-born priest vary in details; one version,
citing Coughlin's magazine, says he was already off the air in 1939,
after actions by the FCC and the NAB.   The former required permits for
frequent broadcasters (!), and the latter imposed broadcast code changes
regarding controversial material.   Later, the Post Office revoked his
second-class mailing permit, which stopped his magazine distribution.

Coughlin's anti-semitic conspiracy-mongering was clearly repugnant, but
I can't look on his silencing as a bright moment in American history.

--RC