And from Cape Cod.....

Sid Schweiger sid@wrko.com
Tue Sep 26 16:02:00 EDT 2006

>>Remember the controvery about a year-and-a-half ago when there
was a train derailment in Minot, ND and no station there was
broadcasting locally at the time to deliver the news that some
toxic material may have been emitted?<<

That is NOT what happened.  I am no apologist for Clear Channel, but it seems that everytime something like this comes up, the same urban legend gets repeated and repeated until CC becomes the devil incarnate.

The CC station serving Minot WAS staffed that night, and could have alerted the surrounding area with EAS within seconds, had someone notified them.  No one in any official capacity called them.  That's right, *no one.*  (I use the term "official capacity" because such an alert is serious business.  You don't activate EAS on the word of just anyone.)

You can blame CC for a lot of things, but that's not one of them.

Sid Schweiger
IT Manager, Entercom Boston LLC
WAAF - WEEI AM/FM - WKAF - WMKK - WRKO - WVEI AM/FM
20 Guest St / 3d Floor
Boston MA  02135-2040
Phone: 617-779-5369
Fax: 617-779-5379