credit where credit is due

radiotony radiotony@comcast.net
Sun Sep 24 17:05:01 EDT 2006

I would agree with Donna's comments about Olbermann. He's hilarious and that
is what makes the difference for me. And I would add, I don't think he is
that liberal in reality - he's just being an astute and sane host!

Best,
Tony

Anthony Schinella
CEO/PD/A&E, WKXL 1450, Concord, NH
Online @ http://www.wkxl1450.com
Blog @ http://politizine.blogspot.com

WKXL: Winner of 6 N.H. Association of Broadcasters Golden Mike Awards
[10/2005];
3 N.H. Associated Press Broadcasters Association Awards [04/2006];
and Best of New Hampshire Magazine 2006, Extreme Local Radio Station
[06/2006].

-----Original Message-----
From: boston-radio-interest-bounces@rolinin.BostonRadio.org
[mailto:boston-radio-interest-bounces@rolinin.BostonRadio.org] On Behalf Of
Donna Halper
Sent: Sunday, September 24, 2006 3:12 AM
To: Don A.; boston-radio-interest@rolinin.bostonradio.org
Subject: Re: credit where credit is due

Keith Olbermann is my cultural hero these days-- not because he is a liberal
but because he is INTERESTING -- an articulate and passionate critic of this
president's policies who knows how to state his case without devolving into
pointless ranting.  And yes, I find his Jon Stewart-like sarcasm can be very
amusing at times, because some politicians really are ridiculous and deserve
a little ribbing from media critics.  Keith may have liberal politics, but
he will criticise Democrats who act stooopidly just as quickly as he will
criticise Republicans.  But overall, I hear waaaay too much ranting coming
from both sides, and I am not fond of it.  Whether it's Michael Savage or
Hugh Hewitt from the right or, sad to say, Randi Rhodes from the left, the
one-note samba rapidly becomes tedious for me.  I understand-- Michael and
Hugh hate liberals with a passion, and Randi hates Bush and Cheney just as
much.  Okay fine, now that you guys have all made your point-- how do we
fill the rest of the show?  I used to find Randi a lot more interesting, but
as time has passed, she seems to be really stuck in her intense dislike of
the Bush White House-- which is her privilege but doesn't make her show very
interesting.  She's very bright and very determined, but a good show has to
have some variety.  I have the same problem with Savage-- oh my gawd, can we
do one show without calling liberals "communists"
or saying they all hate America?  At least Stephanie and Keith (and to some
degree Ed Schultz and Thom Hartmann) know how to express their views without
becoming boring and monochromatic. I like a host who avoids being totally
predictable, and I like a host who can do more than spew endless insults.
As I have said many times, I am politically a moderate-- conservative on a
few issues, liberal on others.  But when I listen to radio, I want to be
informed and entertained, no matter whose show I tune in.  Not all the right
wingers know how to do that kind of show, nor do many of the left wingers.
And as anyone who has tried it will tell you, doing an
interesting talk show is harder than it might seem.