credit where credit is due

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Sat Sep 23 17:30:01 EDT 2006

At 05:14 PM 9/23/2006, Daniel Billings wrote:
>I think much of the criticism of Air America's performance is a reaction to
>the huge amount of hype that occurred when the network hit the air.  The
>mainstream media made it seem like the network was the biggest thing to
>happen in radio since FM.

Well, yes and no.  Based on what I saw nationally, most media critics
were very skeptical-- but just about all of them expected big things
from Franken, given how well known he was as a comedian.  Alas, more
often than not, his show wasn't funny, and that was part of the
problem.  I think that's why many AAR stations tried to find a way to
add in Stephanie Miller (who IS funny) and Ed Schultz (who is more of
a populist and doesn't tend to rant).  The stations that are running
combinations of the Air America and Jones programs seem to be doing
better than those that rely on all-AAR personalities.