Herald: Ch 4 going back to "WBZ" brand

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Tue Nov 21 11:26:08 EST 2006

Amazing but true-- people know who you are by your NAME and if you
use a generic when you have a heritage identity, it just confuses
people.  I never understood why WBZ changed over to CBS4-- I mean,
nothing wrong with the CBS calls, but the station is a Boston
institution-- first TV station in Boston (we had a mechanical TV
station back in 1928, but I mean the first of the electronic
stations) and a largely positive reputation.  Why they agreed to go
generic made no sense.  WBZ radio (September 1921) and WBZ TV (June
1948) are one of the rare cases of using the same call letters since
the day they first went on the air.  I never understood why they
changed their branding on the TV side, and I am glad they are going
back to being who they always were.