Axe falls on WRKO news Dept.

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Sat Nov 18 13:14:33 EST 2006

it was said--

>Even in very Liberal Massachusetts, liberal slanted talk doesn't seem to get
>any traction...
>
>While we have heard talk radio simply "preaches to the choir"....I wonder if
>that is correct.
>
>Maybe it's the way conservatives and  argue differently...that makes one
>more entertaining than the other.

I have been doing a lot of research on this (I'm trying to get my
PhD, and talk radio is a subject in my dissertation) and Boston is
not a market where we can make any valid judgements about  so-called
liberal talk. (I am not referring to "do we personally like it" or
"do we personally think it's awful"-- I mean judgements based on how
many listeners tune in during a given week.)   Basing my own
assessments on what I hear all over eastern Mass as I drive around,
there are so many signal problems that plague WXKS and WKOX that we
don't know who can even hear the stations.  I don't know what's with
WKOX's night pattern, but after 4.30 yesterday, I had trouble hearing
them in Needham.  In fact, Buffalo's WWKB was coming in more clearly.
What I do know is that it's definitely a demographic sell-- Ed
Schultz, for example, is getting very solid 25-54 numbers.  Stephanie
Miller's numbers are strong in 18-49.  In some really blue parts of
the state, like out in Amherst, WHMP has switched over to more and
more Jones programming-- they now carry both Ed and Stephanie, where
they used to carry neither, and I am told these two shows are getting
very good response.  But again, weak signals affect the amount of
people who can sample.  In the handful of cities where the format is
on a station with a strong signal and a promotion budget, such as
Portland OR, Seattle WA and Miami FL, progressive talk has been
getting both good ratings and some advertiser support.  But again,
it's individual hosts who do well-- the jury is still out on the
format as a whole.   And I do agree that liberals and conservatives
sometimes argue differently, but here again, not all conservative
hosts are getting the big numbers and not all liberal hosts are being
rejected.  It took Limbaugh more than 5 years to turn a profit and
get big numbers.  Fox News lost money for 4 years and Murdoch had to
keep  bailing it out.  I'm interested in the development of TALENT on
progressive talk stations.  Hiring a celebrity like Al Franken
doesn't mean he'll be a good talk host.  It's an art, and I think we
all agree that Limbaugh, whether we like his politics or not, does
entertaining radio more often than not.  Liberals came very late to
using radio and as a result, they haven't developed as many
entertaining hosts yet.  As I do my research, I am getting very good
reaction to Ed Schultz, Rachel Maddow, Stephanie Miller, and Thom
Hartmann.  Randi Rhodes used to get excellent reaction but lately she
is perceived as being too much into "endless rant" mode, a disease
that also afflicts some of the less successful rightie talkers.  If
stations want to move beyond just preaching to the choir, they need
to have that entertainment factor-- that is why conservatives listen
to Ed Schultz and liberals listen to Rush Limbaugh -- they may not
always agree with the ideology, but they find the show itself
interesting and entertaining.

Oh and my 2 cents on RKO news-- it's wrong, wrong, wrong not to have
some local news.  Research shows people want it.  It may not be the
prime reason they tune in, but it's one more thing they can like
about your station.