Axe falls on WRKO news Dept.

SteveOrdinetz hykker@grolen.com
Sat Nov 18 15:57:10 EST 2006

  Donna Halper wrote:
>  But again, it's individual hosts who do well-- the jury is still
> out on the format as a whole.   And I do agree that liberals and
> conservatives sometimes argue differently, but here again, not all
> conservative hosts are getting the big numbers and not all liberal
> hosts are being rejected.  It took Limbaugh more than 5 years to
> turn a profit and get big numbers.  Fox News lost money for 4 years
> and Murdoch had to keep  bailing it out.  I'm interested in the
> development of TALENT on progressive talk stations.  Hiring a
> celebrity like Al Franken doesn't mean he'll be a good talk
> host.  It's an art, and I think we all agree that Limbaugh, whether
> we like his politics or not, does entertaining radio more often
> than not.  Liberals came very late to using radio and as a result,
> they haven't developed as many entertaining hosts yet.

I'm wondering if your last point might not be a key reason why
liberal talk has generally not done well....by the time liberal talk
got started, the whole talk radio phenomenon had peaked....listeners
were getting weary of one-sided rants, and politics in general.  Even
Rush isn't getting the numbers he once did.  And when AAR debuted
with more of the same only with a different ideology it was the wrong
product at the wrong time.