Axe falls on WRKO news Dept.

radiotony radiotony@comcast.net
Sat Nov 18 13:13:14 EST 2006

I don't think "liberal" talk has really been given a chance on any of the
really strong commercial signals in Boston.
If you think back, few have ever really been given a shot, especially local
ones. Has there been some on some of the smaller stations? Sure.
But not on one of the big ones for awhile.

Tom Leykis, when he was on WRKO at Noon, beat Rush in his first book back
when Rush was on WHDH [now WEEI].
Then Tom had to go and shove his wife into a fireplace, get himself
arrested, and quickly fled town.

In pairs, like Pat and Marge; Janet and Ted; Marge and Jim; liberal talk
hosts seem to work and have ratings. They get the best - or worst,
depending on how you look at it - of both audiences. The problem there is
the high costs of two hosts.

Ted O'Brien had a pretty good show on WHDH but was up against Jerry Williams
... A death wish no matter what your political perspective.

Can anyone think of any other "liberals" put on the big commercial signals
in Boston? I can't.

Flip to the public radio stations and we know the drill: They flatten
commercial radio in ratings, even in conservative states, and
are perceived to be liberal, although I still contend that most public radio
hosts I've heard are socially-liberal and fiscally-conservative.
It is very elite thing; and elistism runs the gamut from liberal to
conservatives. The rah-rahing for NAFTA, for example, on public radio, was
relentless,
with no balance at all.

Best,
Tony

Anthony Schinella
Station Manager/Program Director
WKXL 1450, Concord, N.H.
Award-winning news, sports, arts & community conversation
Blog: http://politizine.blogspot.com