Axe falls on WRKO news Dept.

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Sat Nov 18 08:03:23 EST 2006

Well, my original post, which Bob Nelson only excerpted in his reply,
suggested the return of Jay Diamond to fill WRKO's mid-morning opening.
Diamond is not an idalogue; he is a radio pro and his shows are far superior
to most of the stuff on WRKO. In various gigs, he has been both a "liberal,"
as he was in his weekend WRKO gig, and a "conservative," as I recall his
being in several NYC gigs. He seems able to play whichever role management
asks him to play. My suggestion was that he try liberal or moderate for a
couple of books and if the ratings didn't materialize, he could switch. I
guess the big problem with a talk host changing sides is that the audience
might not get it; most listeners probably can't comprehend the concept of a
talk host who merely plays a role to entertain the audience. WRKO's current
on-air product provides living proof that the station could do a lot worse
than Diamond; the station has done so--over, and over, and over--and does so
currently throughout its broadcast day. It is not clear that they can do any
better than Diamond.

Since you don't work in Programming, Sid, I know that picking on-air talent
isn't part of your job description, but if you have friends in Programming,
please pass this along to them. They probably don't care what listeners (or
former listeners) think, but listening to the listeners might turn out to be
a new and beneficial experience for them. Gotta beat rearranging the deck
chairs on Titanic 680 ;>(  PS: Don't you think Titanic 680 has a provocative
ring? Just might catch on; the programmers ought to worry about that!

--

Dan Strassberg
dan.strassberg@att.net