WCRN adds Red Sox, and the "Sweet Caroline" story

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Thu Nov 9 13:40:18 EST 2006

Where did you see or hear 50,000 watts of NIGHTTIME power? I'd like to see
or hear it for myself--especially if the source was a promo on WCRN or
something on WCRN's Web site. If WCRN does get the 50-kW night signal on the
air, it definitely will fix WRKO's nighttime coverage problems in MetroWest.
The WCRN transmitter is about 10 miles west of downtown Worcester and the
night signal will beam almost due east. The 10.55 mV/m NIF contour will
extend to Framingham. (I can't remember whether or not most of Framingham
will lie within the NIF but at least some of it will.) Except for fading,
which is really annoying on WCRN from before sunset until after sunrise, the
signal should be better than WRKO's, at least as far as Route 128. Areas
west of the WCRN transmitter in Leicester may not receive as good a signal
as they do from WTAG, however.

If WCRN picks up the Sox, that will put an end to the speculation about
107.3 carrying them. Now that 107.3 has a separate Boston signal on 97.7,
Entercom COULD have kept the rock on 97.7 during the games and put the Sox
on 107.3 to cover MetroWest. However, having the games on 830 (assuming the
power increase gets built), will be a big boost for AM in MetroWest. Because
of first-adjacent WEZE, WTAG really hasn't been an alternative for many
MetroWest listeners.

Anyone remember Tom Russell, who did AM drive on the old WEEI 590 for many,
many years (and later worked for the Mass Lottery)? I believe he lived in
Hopkinton. He would often complain on the air that his wife and kids
couldn't listen to his program because the interference from another
station. That station was WTAG and the problem cut both ways. Few people
listen to WTAG in Hopkinton either because of the interference from what is
now WEZE.

--

Dan Strassberg
dan.strassberg@att.net