Election coverage review

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Thu Nov 9 13:05:25 EST 2006

John Bolduc wrote:
>> I noticed that too, but there were damn few radio stations covering
>> any election news at all.
>>

> But Radio Derry 1700 with it's mighty 0.1 watt of power had live election
> results from about 8pm until midnight or so...

Not that it quite fits "boston-", but over here in Rochester at WXXI, we
were live with coverage on AM 1370 from 9-midnight, simulcast on one of
the subchannels of WXXI-DT. I was about 90 minutes south of here, at the
campaign HQ of our "local" congresscritter (we're gerrymandered all to
heck here; there are other "local" districts that forced us to send
reporters to Buffalo and Syracuse as well), and was listening to WBZ,
among others, on the drive down and back.

I think Garrett and I need to trade NPR outlets - WXXI went to the usual
BBC WS at midnight, and I'd have MUCH rather heard the all-night NPR
coverage from Washington, which I was able to tune in on the member
stations out of Binghamton and Oswego as I drove back to the studio that
night. (It rather appears that we carried BBC out of default; when I
asked why we weren't using the NPR coverage, the response was, "nobody
thought of that!")

The mighty 50 kW of WHAM was doing a stale seven-hour-old replay of Sean
Hannity at 12:35 AM when I tuned in on the way back to the station. They
did have a live local update (with no sound of any candidates) at 1 AM.
They've had a bunch of nasty cutbacks there lately. I feel bad for them!