Election coverage review

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Thu Nov 9 13:08:08 EST 2006

I don't think WKOX carried the AAR election coverage! I tuned in at about
9:45PM and caught Rachel on delay as per usual. It was election coverage,
but it was three hours old--and was therefore more-or-less useless. At
11:00PM, at the end of Rachel's show, the delayed broadcast of Sem Seder,
who is live 14 hours earlier, began. I was a bit pissed. To compound the
problem, I couldn't figure out what would have been on if WKOX was doing
election night correctly. For several days, I had heard promos for both
Young Turks election-night coverage and Rachel/David election-night
coverage. I wondered (and still wonder) if AAR didn't put two election-night
shows on two different satellite transponders. I believe that AAR does have
access to two transponders and uses one for the regularly scheduled delayed
broadcasts

Also, some station (not CFGO, which caused so much trouble a year ago) that
doesn't normally interfere with WKOX was interfering pretty badly. The
format sounded like Black Gospel (I think there is a 1200 in Nashville with
high day power and low night power--could have been them running day
power/pattern--but I don't know.) The one ID I heard couldn't have been from
the gospel station. Faded up just in time for me to hear "News-Talk 1200"
and down before I could hear the call-sign or the CoL. Five or more years
ago, before it went brokered SS religion, which was before it went
progressive talk, WKOX used to ID as News-Talk 1200, IIRC. I don't suppose
that what I heard was a five+-year-old WKOX ID that had been circling around
in the ether all those years and finally looped back to earth :>)

--

Dan Strassberg
dan.strassberg@att.net