one final comment

dslrpierce@peoplepc.com dslrpierce@peoplepc.com
Tue Nov 7 08:40:12 EST 2006

Donna,

First, my condolences on the death of your father-in-law.

Second,  as a Program Director for more than ten years, and a talk show host
and producer for even longer, I never had a meeting with anyone in the
corporate chain about the issue of what can or cannot be said on the air.
During my time with Clear Channel, after several highly publicized problems,
the company issued a set of standards (just tightening up standards that
were already in existence).  Prior to that I simply had to go on my
professional experience, which centered around my ability to understand my
community's standards and the image of my radio station.  As a News/Talk PD,
I always thought that I should have a stricter standard than, say, my
counterparts at the AOR station.  Clearly, what were once pretty bright
lines when I got into the business in 1981 have faded considerably over
time.  Were the 'caller abortions' that Rush was doing early in his career
in good taste?  Probably not, but most managers hung on and took the heat
and were rewarded when his show achieved ratings and revenue success.

That is just one example of a talk host who may have crossed the line but
got away with it.  Still, while a bit like that might offend some people, it
does not necessarily offend a particular interest group that might be
capable of causing real financial problems for a radio station.  This, I
think, is the key.  Comments directed at a politically or economically
powerful interest group in your community, or comments that offend a wide
cross-section of your audience, are cause for alarm.  It does not
necessarily mean that you dump the host.  If you think the host is a
potential ratings winner, you're generally going to stick with him/her,
unless the comments rise to the level of a headache you no longer want to
endure.  I think this was, in part, the case with John DePetro.  There were
almost certainly some things happening behind the scenes that we have not
heard about that pushed him close to the edge.  He merely gave them an
excuse to push him off.

The bottom line?  Like obscenity, objectionable speech that can lead to
termination probably cannot be defined, but when my behind is in the PD or
GM's chair, I'll know it when I hear it.

Dan Pierce