Insensitivity and Hurtfulness / More on Debates and Equal Time

Robert S Chase attychase@comcast.net
Mon Nov 6 14:27:07 EST 2006

On the subject of who can be the most insensitive or hurtful:

I still can't listen to that short people song without getting extremely mad
at Newman or whoever is performing it. I can't tell if that is the way
Newman himself really feels or it was a parody. From what I see when he
performs it he may actually believe it, I know all the people that believe
it get a big kick out of it. My experience is that a lot of tall people are
bigots, usurpers and bullies. (For that matter so aren't a lot of short
people although usually they need to get into a group to carry it off.
(Hitler, 5' 8", Stalin, 5' 4", MaoTse-tung,  5'6",  Pol Pot ?)

> Message: 5
> Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 22:40:38 -0500
> From: "Bob Nelson" <raccoonradio@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: depetro comments
> To: "Donna Halper" <dlh@donnahalper.com>,
> boston-radio-interest@rolinin.bostonradio.org
>
> Randy Newman did the same thing in the song Short People, which made fun
> of
> a bigot who felt that short-statured individuals "have no reason to
> live". During the
> song's bridge, the background singers say, "Short people are just the same
> as you and I" and Newman's _character_ comes out and says, "The fools such
> as I". He admits he's being a fool. But then he just winds up going
> back to his bigotry--someone tried to point out his views, and he
> didn't listen. "Borat" is apparently doing the same.

With respect to the debate issue:

When dealing with leaving someone out a debate you get into the equal time
area. (I suppose you could hold a debate with just two candidates if you
gave the left out one time later on.) The usual way to leave someone out is
to have someone else sponsor it and cover it as a bona fide news event.

The equal time rule applies to all time given to candidates, paid or not. If
a station gives one candidate time then it must give similar time to the
other. If however it sells the time (ads), then it must make available for
purchase equal time. There is also a provision dealing with the price of
those ads. This is what I said in my message.

See http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/E/htmlE/equaltimeru/equaltimeru.htm
which I cited below as well as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-time_rule