WBOQ vs. WATD

Aaron Read readaaron@friedbagels.com
Mon Jun 19 11:54:54 EDT 2006

I know almost nothing about WATD's (or WBOQ's) finances, but I suspect
that there's two "secret weapons" that WATD has over WBOQ.

First is that Ed Perry is amazingly involved in the local community; not
just in terms of operation of his station's programming and the usual
charitable work and his hosting the TIC/RRS in his station...but also in
terms of all the work he does in frequency coordination for two-way
radio services, RPU's, fire, police, etc etc etc.  I suspect there's
some consulting money there...but the real value is that the man is tied
in very well with the entire community on a wide range of levels - that
means lots of good advertising contacts.

Second is that AFAIK, WATD owns the tower right near their studio
building.  I think they own the tower their transmitter is on, too.
That means they can get tower rent from the former and avoid paying
tower rent on the latter.   No doubt both help the bottom line quite a bit.

Mind you, I think Ed Perry walks on water and is the best thing since
sliced bread.  :-)  An awful lot of the stations I work with owe him
everything they are today!   So I'm very happy to see how well WATD does
year after year.

--

Aaron Read

Fried Bagels - Broadcast Radio & Web