WCAP 55th Birthday Party Report

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Mon Jun 12 13:37:45 EDT 2006

>Garrett wrote--
>
>Originally, WCAP was a station in Washington, owned by AT&T; the call
>letters stood for the name of the local Bell Operating Company, the
>Chesapeake And Potomac Telephone Company.  That station I believe
>turned into WRC when AT&T sold its stations to RCA (see also WEAF).
>The second WCAP was in the City of Asbury Park, New Jersey.

It was the station in Jersey they were waiting for-- WCAP gave up its calls
on the first of the month, and WCAP in Lowell was born five days later.
Evidently, the Cohens liked those calls better than the ones the FCC
originally tried to give them when they first tried to get a license back
in 1946 (!).