WCAP 55th Birthday Party Report

Bill O'Neill me@billoneill.us
Mon Jun 12 12:35:04 EDT 2006

Don A. wrote:
> Does anyone know what the call letters stand for...or why they were chosen?
>
> (Was it simply that Ike "liked" them?)

We learned that night from Donna's research that the random assignment
to 980 was WABW but Ike bought the WCAP calls before it ever signed on.

Another think I forgot to mention Saturday night was my recollection of
a conversation that I had with Ike Cohen many years ago. He said that
the original 980 kHz CoL assignment by the FCC (on paper) was to
LAWRENCE, Mass., 10 miles up the river, not Lowell.  Given that Lawrence
already had 800 kHz as well as 1400 kHz (synchronous with 1400 kHz
Lowell) Ike's first official act was to get a change of CoL to Lowell.
Originally from Portsmouth, NH, Ike's original interest in Lowell was on
the basis that that city lacked an AMer all to itself.

As yes, it was simply that Ike "liked" them. That's what he told me.
Take that to the bank!

Bill O'Neill