Worcester's Channel 5 allocation (was Re: MyTV joins MyNetwork)

Sid Schweiger sid@wrko.com
Sun Jul 23 22:17:30 EDT 2006

> Channel 5 as a Worcester allocation DID have an applicant, The Worcester Telegram and Gazette.  It was to be WTAG-TV.<<

During my years at WSRS, when Norman Knight owned it, I found the original blueprints for the building, and there, above the main front door, was the call sign WTAG-TV.  Some of the old-timers up there told me what happened:  The WT&G became convinced that TV would never amount to anything, so they abandoned any plans to build it.  They did the same thing with WTAG-FM (96.1), laboring under the same delusion, that FM wouldn't go anywhere.  They sold it to Norman Knight for almost nothing.

Sid Schweiger
IT Manager, Entercom Boston LLC
WAAF - WEEI AM/FM - WMKK - WRKO - WVEI AM/FM
20 Guest St / 3d Floor
Boston MA  02135-2040
Phone: 617-779-5369
Fax: 617-779-5379