Worcester's Channel 5 allocation (was Re: MyTV joins MyNetwork)

Doug Drown revdoug1@verizon.net
Mon Jul 24 09:14:16 EDT 2006

How many people in the early '60s did think that FM was going to go
anywhere?  It's amusing to think about it.  When I was growing up in central
Mass., there were quite a few FM stations out there, but most of them
simulcasted their parent AMs' programming.  There was, of course, WGBH, and
there was a handful of commercial FM stations that played classical music
(WBCN among them).  WTAG-FM simulcasted WTAG during the day, then in the
evening spun off and carried classical programming that originated at WQXR
in New York.  Does anyone remember Caspar Citron?

The Telegram & Gazette, in its infinite wisdom, sold WTAG-FM at just the
wrong time.  WSRS, with its "beautiful music" format, was an almost instant
success, became a pretty formidable competitor to the region's AMs, and was
central New England's dominant FM station for many years thereafter.

-Doug

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sid Schweiger" <sid@wrko.com>
To: <boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Sunday, July 23, 2006 10:17 PM
Subject: Re: Worcester's Channel 5 allocation (was Re: MyTV joins MyNetwork)

> > Channel 5 as a Worcester allocation DID have an applicant, The Worcester
Telegram and Gazette.  It was to be WTAG-TV.<<

> During my years at WSRS, when Norman Knight owned it, I found the original
blueprints for the building, and there, above the main front door, was the
call sign WTAG-TV.  Some of the old-timers up there told me what happened:
The WT&G became convinced that TV would never amount to anything, so they
abandoned any plans to build it.  They did the same thing with WTAG-FM
(96.1), laboring under the same delusion, that FM wouldn't go anywhere.
They sold it to Norman Knight for almost nothing.