seven second delay?

Garrett Wollman wollman@csail.mit.edu
Fri Jul 14 11:36:00 EDT 2006

<<On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 11:25:16 -0400, Scott Fybush <scott@fybush.com> said:

> In some future upgrade to digital TV and radio standards, I'd love to
> see the introduction of some sort of time reference for live broadcasts
> that would allow receivers to introduce their own delay (memory is
> cheap!) to one side or the other to sync up radio and TV broadcasts at
> the receiver end.

RTP (the protocol used for real-time media over the Internet) has
always done this.  It has to, because the audio and video are sent as
separate data streams, and you couldn't get lip-sync without a common
clock reference.  So if we all move to IP-based media, then this could
in theory be done -- although I'd be surprised to see a consumer
platform that actually had audio stream mix-and-match!

-GAWollman