seven second delay?

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Fri Jul 14 11:25:16 EDT 2006

Rick Kelly wrote:
> On 7/14/06, Bob Nelson <raccoonradio@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think there's some kind of delay difference between WEEI and NESN (for
>> those who want to hear the radio broadcast but watch the TV
>> coverage...)
>
> I have tried that, and no they don't sync up well at all.  It's not
> that I mind Don and Remdawg, I like hearing Jerry Trupiano though, he
> is very quite cleaver asnd talented.  BTW, same thing with the
> internet radio broadcast and TV.  They don't sync up.

Nothing syncs up anymore. There are too many places in the chain of a
typical broadcast (radio or TV) these days where the signal can get
delayed, and so many different ways in which those signals reach the
viewer/listener that it's impossible to sync radio to TV (or vice versa)
in a way that's going to satisfy everyone.

If you're watching NESN on analog cable, you're seeing a different delay
from the guy watching on digital cable, who's seeing a different delay
from the guy watching on Dish Network or DirecTV, who's seeing yet
another different delay from the guy watching in HD. There's so much
digital signal processing going on in my digital cable box that even
when it's tuned to an analog cable channel, it introduces a noticeable
delay against straight analog reception. (Very noticeable when I have my
analog TV on in my office and Lisa's watching the same channel through
the cable box in the next room!)

Radio's no longer a delay-free chain, either - there are all sorts of
digital elements along the path (whether it be a satellite feed from a
ballpark on the road, a digital STL, or IBOC) that introduce varying
amounts of delay. Assuming WEEI(AM) gets a direct in-house feed of the
network, its Sox broadcast should be a bit ahead of any of the
affiliates, who get a satellite feed that's delayed by the amount of
time it takes the signal to get 22,300 miles up into space and then back
down to earth (plus any additional delays introduced by digital encoding
and decoding, and whatever transmission method is used to get the audio
from WEEI's studios to the uplink.

In some future upgrade to digital TV and radio standards, I'd love to
see the introduction of some sort of time reference for live broadcasts
that would allow receivers to introduce their own delay (memory is
cheap!) to one side or the other to sync up radio and TV broadcasts at
the receiver end.