CBS did not broadcast 4th of July in high def

Cohasset / Hippisley cohasset@frontiernet.net
Wed Jul 12 08:08:00 EDT 2006

A. Joseph Ross wrote:
>  Local color took
> quite a few years to take hold.  In Boston, WHDH-TV channel 5 did
> local color when it came on in 1957.  I don't know when the other
> stations started doing it.

Local color at WBZ-TV in 1966 was still fairly primitive; as I recall,
we had two very large (RCA?) cameras for a limited number of local
originations, and it took an hour or so of set-up work by the camera
crew before the evening news to get flesh tones anywhere near similar on
the two cameras.  The control room itself was still not totally
compatible with color -- one of the upgrades we were working on was
proper synchronization when switching from one color source to another.

Bud Hippisley