WRUL programming

Russ Butler songbook2@comcast.net
Mon Jul 10 22:19:24 EDT 2006

Nobody has mentioned the WRUL programming when they were in the
Commonwealth Avenue brownstone, or their sign off  theme ("Going Home")
from Antonin Dvorak's "The New World" symphony.  The 45-minute (maybe
one hour on that frequency window) broadcast in fifteen minute segments
(news, stock reports, light classical music, features, etc.) for a
worldwide audience in 1951-52 preceded the religious format.

That was the fun of watching them produce the broadcast in the one large
studio (with fireplace, it was a reception hall or library) with
turntables, floor stand mics and desk mics, heavily draped walls and
window curtains and oriental carpets.  The little observation booth with
a double glass window was a perfect place for me to watch after high
school classes in the afternoon, perhaps it was for sponsors to see a
broadcast?  Who bought WRUL advertising time?

I recall (Donna?) they flew a large WRUL banner flag on a pole from the
second floor and the little brass plaque next to the front door with
"WRUL International" engraved on it.  Ah, the memories linger on!

=Russ Butler   songbook2@comcast.net