CBS did not broadcast 4th of July in high def

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Tue Jul 11 22:51:17 EDT 2006

On 11 Jul 2006 at 0:28, Scott Fybush wrote:

> Boston's slowly slipping behind the curve when it comes to local HD. I
> now count about a dozen stations around the country (mostly owned by
> Gannett and Cox) doing local news in HD. I've heard nothing about any
> Boston stations planning to join those ranks.

As I recall, when color TV came out, it was initially only a network
phenomenon (and only one network at that -- NBC).  Local color took
quite a few years to take hold.  In Boston, WHDH-TV channel 5 did
local color when it came on in 1957.  I don't know when the other
stations started doing it.  But I believe Red Sox games were still in
B&W.  Even network news didn't go color until around the mid-1960s.

So I imagine the same thing will be true of HDTV.

 15 Court Square, Suite 210                 Fax 617.742.7581