W1XAL shortwave station in Boston

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Sat Jul 8 10:43:25 EDT 2006

On 8 Jul 2006 at 1:52, Donna Halper wrote:

> Actually, when it first went on the air, it was at the University Club
> on Commonwealth Ave in Boston, and had a working agreement with the
> Christian Science Monitor newspaper to broadcast news and educational
> programs all over the world.  Owner Walter S. Lemmon (who would later
> put WGCH in Greenwhich CT on the air) was very committed to using
> shortwave to teach tolerance and promote understanding between
> cultures, and W1XAL was part of that commitment.  In its day, some
> very important educators, scholars, statesmen, political figures,
> linguists, and diplomats broadcast from the station.

There was another shortwave station that I believe was located in
Boston at one time called WRUL.  I believe it still existed in the
early 1960s.  It eventually was sold and became WNYW -- Radio New
York Worldwide -- and I actually heard it in that incarnation.  I
don't know what happened to it after that.  Can Donna or anyone else
fill us in on that one?

 15 Court Square, Suite 210                 Fax 617.742.7581