W1XAL shortwave station in Boston

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Sat Jul 8 01:52:38 EDT 2006

>Michael wrote--
>
>I've found out that W1XAL started transmitting on shortwave from 70
>Brookline Ave in Boston in 1931. It broadcast educational and cultural
>programs by professors from Harvard, Tufts, BU, etc.

Actually, when it first went on the air, it was at the University Club on
Commonwealth Ave in Boston, and had a working agreement with the Christian
Science Monitor newspaper to broadcast news and educational programs all
over the world.  Owner Walter S. Lemmon (who would later put WGCH in
Greenwhich CT on the air) was very committed to using shortwave to teach
tolerance and promote understanding between cultures, and W1XAL was part of
that commitment.  In its day, some very important educators, scholars,
statesmen, political figures, linguists, and diplomats broadcast from the
station.